.

.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Big Sur

A couple weekends ago I was able to get away for a little girls trip.  My friend Melanie and I piggy-backed on a mutual friends girls trip to Carmel, California to run the Big Sur Marathon.  And by Big Sur Marathon, I mean we ran the 10.6 mile portion. (for some reason they didn't offer a half marathon)

 Melanie, Janet & Myself

Pebble Beach Golf Course in the background.

We stayed at an adorable cottage near the ocean in Carmel.



The backyard smelled heavenly.  It reminded me of back home in Camarillo.

 We ate dinner at this fancy restaurant at Pebble Beach.


The day before the race we explored Carmel & Monterey.



Ate at this divine crepe shop.  Oh how I wish we had a crepe shop in Highlands Ranch. 



Everyone looking their best.  We all just rolled out of bed and had to rush off to get our race packets at the runners expo.




Isn't this candy store adorable?  I couldn't get enough of it!


It was a tad bit chilly, so we had to make a stop to buy some warmer running clothes...and sneak in to a really nice boutique hotel to warm up by the fire.


The race was a lot of fun!  The scenery was absolutely gorgeous!  
We ran along this coast on the Pacific Coast Highway the entire run.  

 
 We finished the race in 1:34, which paced us at 9 minute miles.  Which I am sure was slow for Melanie, but I was happy with it.  Especially since I trained at just under 10 minute miles



Our last day we went to the Monterey BayAquarium just before we caught our flight.




Such a fun trip!  I am so glad that I was able to train for and finish my first race!  Do I have the race bug?  Not necessarily.  I know for a fact that I have no desire to ever run a full marathon.  However, I do think this race was the perfect way to lose my baby weight (five more lbs to go) and was a great excuse for a girls trip.

1 comment:

  1. Carmel and Monterey are two of my most favorite places! I love the little shops and it is so beautiful there. We are taking the boys to the Monterey Aquarium for the second time next month :) Looks like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete